Thursday, November 8, 2012

Current Event Number 4

I think that everyone’s mom said at some point in their life this exact line: “no more jumping on the bed or you’ll (blank)”. With my mom it usually ended with me poking an eye out or cracking my head open. I think that we also all read the story about the little monkeys jumping on the bed who all cracked open their heads. “Mama called the doctor and the doctor said: ‘No more monkeys jumping on the bed.’” Well this week in Dunwoody a six-year-old was jumping on the bed with her siblings in their apartment home three stories from the ground. A nearby window was open, and the girl was bounced right out the window and fell between 40 and 50 feet. She was treated for what seemed to be minor injuries, but it could have been much more serious. Kelsey was telling me about a two-year-old this morning that was killed at a zoo because his mom put him on the railing of a wild dog exhibit and dropped him. The dogs apparently mauled the little boy who was most likely injured by the fall. The question however is: why aren’t parents being more responsible? It seems like parents these days are not as hands on or disciplining as mine were. My parents always told me what not to do and why but it seems like parents are becoming less and less responsible. I used to always tell my mom that when I grew up and had my own kids, I would never tell them no. Instances like these really make me reconsider my youthful defiance. Obviously no has to be said to little kids or they fall out of windows or get mauled by wild zoo animals.


This is the story most of us read as children


No comments:

Post a Comment