Sunday, November 11, 2012

Internet Addiction

Internet Addiction 

When you think of an addiction...what do you think of?
You probably think of alcoholism and addiction to hardcore drugs.  In Rock Center,  Addiction to the Internet was investigated.  Internet Addiction?  It sounds a little strange at first.  There are definitely some skeptics to this addiction, even I was included in this group.  My initial thought was "there's no way someone could be addicted to the internet so much that it becomes a problem."  But the more I think about it, the more it makes more sense.  Think about your everyday life.  At least for me, this is how it works.  I will be doing something and have a break in which I'll have nothing to do so, I just pull out my iPhone and check Twitter and Instagram just to see if anyone has posted anything I haven't seen.  In this Rock Center Investigation,  they recognize an internet addiction as something much deeper than this.  They are talking about the people who aren't able to function or have real friends because they are too busy playing internet games or talking to their online friends.  This is not a shock to me and is definitely something that I think everyone was expecting but not ready to handle.  I don't see this reliance on the internet slowing down.  People buy their electronic products based on internet capabilities.  Companies rely on the internet to keep their staff connected and even a place to store records.  People have easy access to the internet and this addiction will continue to grow exponentially into the future.  I believe that this can be a problem for the addicts and not the users.  Users are able to control themselves while addicts are on another level.  It will be beneficial for people to have rehabilitation centers, like reSTART to help them with their addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment