Sunday, November 11, 2012

Internet Addiction IS NOT A MENTAL DISORDER

Internet Addiction
 
 
                I don’t understand where this reasoning that “being addicted to the internet is a mental disorder” came from, but it does not make sense. Professionals are claiming that the continued use of the internet is similar to those of substance abusers. I do not see why or how that is true. The internet is a device that connects you to the world. It helps you interact with anything that is happening. Maybe it is just me, but I do not see how being away from the internet can cause the same effects as being at rehab to get over an addiction for heroin for example.
                “The addiction to the internet” can certainly not be classified as a mental disorder. If you spend countless hours on the internet or playing video games then it does not make you crazy. You are just a teenager. Teen lives are consumes by computers and video games. We are under a lot of stress and these are ways to handle it. It may seem bias because I am a teenager, but to me, hearing about someone being addicted to the internet just sounds like a person that needs to get out more.
                Unless someone has actual evidence that the internet produces the same effects on the brain as mind-altering drugs then I refuse to believe there is a thing as internet-withdrawal becoming a serious problem. Some people can fit in better online then in real person. I don’t think they should be denied what makes them comfortable or happy. I don’t think they should spend all their day on the computer or playing games, but just healthy moderation can make an easy fix. Having constant access to what the internet has to offer, I do see the internet as time consuming. I have a problem seeing how it can affect how you live your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment