Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sending Cavities Afghanistan's Way: North Fulton

      Children's Dental Zone in Alpharetta has decided to team up and recollect candy to send to men and women in the armed forces. They have agreed to collect 1 pound of candy for $1, and up to 3 lbs can be sold. But what is the message behind this?
       According to the firm, the donations will help spread the word about preventing cavities, as well as let the troops know that people at home wish them a Happy Halloween. The complete irrelevance of this article helps bring up the question about the army and the military. What is the motivation to fight for our country and where does it come from?
      The part of the military that scares me is that you never know what is going to happen. One day, you can wake up in Iraq and then the next day you can die in battle. I know that's quite the blunt statement, but it's true. When someone in my history class announced that he was planning on going into the military, I immediately thought- IS HE CRAZY? That seems absurd to me that anyone would risk their life- even if it is for their home country.
      20 minutes later and after a lenghty discussion, I finally discovered why this 16-year old was SO SET on going into the military. The reason why he said he wanted to go was becuase he said he felt the need to give back to the country that gave so much to him. Apparently, 15 years earlier, his parents and he migrated to the USA from Haiti and had to start from nothing. According to his story, his parents were able to build themselves up to where they are now, and therefore he feels as if he is "in debt" to the country. In order to pay this debt, he plans on serving in the military.
     I guess when I assume things, I am not necessarily fully informed. Maybe sometimes I jump to conclusions. Clearly, in this case, I learned a valuable lesson about motives behind things. Instead of looking over the idea of going into the military or armed forces, I had to reconsider the situation and what it might mean to someone else. In the case of this young man in my history class, I was able to see what was going on through his point of view.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/dentists-to-buy-back-halloween-candy-to-send-to-tr/nSsRZ/
    

No comments:

Post a Comment