Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Choice blog #2: Clover Run Rescue

I have been volunteering at Clover Run Rescue since June of 2011.  They are a wonderful rescue that specializes in rescuing dogs from kill shelters on their last days. They come to the Pet Supermarket on State Bridge Road every Saturday and Sunday for adoptions, and bring around 20 dogs each time. They are, of course, a no kill shelter and the owners - Kathy and Tom Motter - have a huge love of dogs that is quite obvious in the way they speak and communicate with their four-legged friends.
Clover Run has a list of what they call "Less Adoptable" dogs - these are dogs that would not fit in with every family. For example, Roxie (the boxer below) does not get along well with dogs and therefore needed a loving family with no pets. In the time it took her to get adopted (a little over a year), I became quite attached to her. She was a very affectionate dog, and I am thrilled that she got the home she deserves. It is true that working with these dogs every weekend makes it hard to let them go - but I know it is what is best for them.


Volunteers are also given the option to foster dogs for the week, in order to get them used to houses and families and such. I myself have only ever fostered one dog - a schnauzer named Schwartz. Schwartz is a grey and white purebred Miniature Schnauzer, now about a year and a half old. I fostered him in October of 2011, when he was just five months old. We (my parents and I) grew quite attached to him and when the two weeks were up and we had to give him back, we found we simply were not able to. So, we kept him! His name is now Elvis, and he is my sweet, yet crazy, puppy - along with my other dog, Lily. He loves to chase the tennis ball, and Lily, and his favorite pass time is being cuddled. So that was another happy ending. The picture below is of Elvis now, with Lily.



It is really rewarding to volunteer at Clover Run - the adopters are always rather excited, and it is contagious. When people come up to me after adopting their new best friend and thank me for my help, I always feel privileged to have been able to help complete a family. Training the dogs is always an option as well, though sometimes a challenging one. The dogs need to learn basic commands in order to be more appealing to the adopters. I also do paperwork for Kathy, which in itself is a big responsability. It makes me happy to think that I do make a difference, however small. There is a reason dogs are called man's best friend... they just are.







No comments:

Post a Comment