Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween...not such a big deal anymore

So I don't know about everyone else, but this year Halloween snuck up on me.  It came all of a sudden. Maybe I forgot about it because there's so much going on during junior year...homework, SAT/ACT prep, sports, work, and let's not forget all the TV shows we try to keep up with! Who knows? Either way, once I did remember, it was a little disheartening to realize that I didn't really care. That's right. I didn't even get remotely excited. But let's be honest here. We're too old to go trick-or-treating, and we're piled high with assignments and tests and papers. It'd be nice to say that I have a cool outfit all planned out and that I'm going to go to a crazy Halloween party, but tonight all I'll be doing is schoolwork , handing out some candy, and maybe watching X-Factor Live. It's sad but it's the truth.

Halloween seems to be reserved for kids up until about the time they become teenagers, takes a break while they're in high school, then reappers in college in the form of parties, pranks, etc. Now don't get me wrong, there are definitely exceptions.  Some high school kids do go to Halloween parties, do got to Netherworlds, and do take it upon themselves to scare the younger kids. However, for me, it's just a normal Wednesday. You have to be honest, today definitely didn't feel like Halloween; I actually had to keep on reminding myself that it was.

So while I'm sitting here at home, my youngest brother is going around as a serial killer, trying to collect as much candy as he possibly can. This year's Halloween has arrived...and will have left, all without me blinking an eye. Where has my childhood gone? Perhaps I should rent a horror movie...but then again, I don't like horror movies.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya. Today doesn't feel like an extraordinary day -- none of that "Halloween magic" feel to it. Is free candy just not enticing enough anymore? :)

    ReplyDelete