Sunday, October 28, 2012

Choice Blog 3: Homecoming Hair


For my third choice blog I have decided to evaluate the different hair styles that people wore for homecoming. Hair is something people use to express their style and personality. Tight curls for an innocent look, long beach waves for a relaxed look, or hair full of volume for a bold look. The options are limitless. But, every hair style has a weakness. Homecoming night is full of jumping, dancing, and laughing with friends. Your hair has to be ready to move with you.

The way I see it, there are only a couple of general options for hair: pinned bun,  half up or half down, all down and ponytail. Each of these options has limitless details one can add for their own personal touch, for example, hair clips, bows, curls, or braids.

The first hairstyle I will evaluate is the all hair down look. Let’s face it—everyone who dances gets sweaty and disgusting. If you are going to be dancing the night away, hair down is not a good option. Hair that is wet from sweat is not every attractive to look at, it sticks to you, and it is just grossing me out talking about it. Anyways, along with getting sweaty many people’s hair get frizzy with the combination of heat and moisture. There is nothing you can do to fix that unless you have a hair tie to put it in a ponytail.

The second hair style is the half up half down. This has many of the same problems as all hair down, but I think the half up part keeps this look from getting extremely frizzy. This alo allows more hairstyle options of accessories in the hair and jewelry, like long dangly earrings.

The third hairstyle is the ponytail. Ponytails can be low or high with a French braid going around the girls head to the hair tie. This hairstyle is great for not getting the hair sweaty and frizzy; however, when dancing, the ponytail can swing and hit someone in the face. This sounds absurd, but trust me, it has happened. Ladies, we have all been there.  Also, with this look you need to make sure your dress will look good with your hair in an up do. If you can see a bra strap from the dress or you are breaking out last minute, this may not be the choice for you.

The final hairstyle is the pinned bun (no hair tie). This is the look I did for homecoming this year. I had a French fishtail around my head and that was then wrapped into a bun. With no hair tie, I bobby pinned that sucker like my life depended on it. I did not want to risk it falling out. This is considered an up do style so one must consider the negatives and positives this shares with the ponytail option. Unlike the ponytail, there is no hair tie, which makes the bun a lot less stable. I was worried about the bun falling out, but it held up really well. I did not lose any bobby pins and if I felt the bun was getting loose, I just pushed the pins back in by squeezing the bun with my hand. Also when jump dancing, nothing came loose and I did not have to worry about smacking some random kid in the face with my hair. The look held up nice the whole night and I never worried about it falling out. This style was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment