Thursday, October 25, 2012

2nd Current Event: Can free speech really go too far?

     A man living by Emory University has been tacking up offensive signs all over his property. Some may argue that this is okay...due to the freedom of speech right the first amendment gives us. In most cases I would say that to take away one's freedom of speech is harsh-however can this freedom be stretched to the point it does more harm than good?
     This 50 year old man has scattered signs demeaning posters mixed with halloween and Christmas blow up decorations on his property... he even went as far as using a cross in which stuffed animals were hanging off of. Some may make the argument that he has a right to do these actions per the first amendment rights; it's gotten to the point fellow neighbors are afraid to walk by his house. This is a little over the top; people aren't just uneasy by this fact, by degrading his yard with these unappreciated posters and signs he has hurt the neighborhood finically. There are several cases out there dealing with the freedom of speech and typically not much is harmed. He has had run in's with the codes of DeKalb county...but this time he's requesting to go to court. To fight this case he will need to prove that his actions haven't damaged or violated simple codes of the county. This will be hard to come by; the facts are there and this has caused somewhat of a financial flaw within the community. Don't get me wrong here, I'm a big believer of freedom of speech. I do however think in cases such as this one, something needs to happen. You can't bring about damage financially.

source: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/free-speech-limits-tested-in-dispute-between-neigh/nSm73/

1 comment:

  1. I was trying to embarrass DeKalb County into admitting willful accessory to Mr. Charles Bliss crime of violating the county's green laws by cutting down 24 tree on adjacent property then more after moving into the house since completely remodeled. "I'm increasing your property value! I'm increasing your property value! I'm increasing your property value!" was his only justification. Judge Nelly "F**K THE LORAX" Withers would not even let me bring up the county's failure enforcing their green law as part of my defense. Or even pics of other signs violation within the neighborhood; even one within sight of my signs in violation of the same ordinance. As I felt I had been denied a fair hearing; this is why my signs persist

    ReplyDelete